50 Years Of Power Ceremonies were held in the material staging yard just east of the LaGrange Main Erecting Bay. Montana Western No. 31 was built in October 1925 and was designed by the Electro-Motive Company of Cleveland, Ohio for Great Northern Railway as No. 2313. This gas-electric railcar was powered by a Winton 6-cylinder 106A gasoline engine which produced 220 HP at 1050 RPM. In 1940, the railcar was sold to Montana Western.
Displays were arranged all around the facility to give visitors a chance to see all the historic innovations created over the 50 years of EMD. In the Upper Bay of the Engineering Building were displays with Engine, Turbocharger, Locomotive, Electrical Controls, and Electrical Rotating components
A current production 20-645E3 engine was on display. This engine is intended for application to a locomotive and is rated at 3,900 BHP at 900 RPM. This engine was also used in MP-45 Electric Power Generation Units and as marine main propulsion engines.
Another display showed a current production AR-10 Traction Alternator. This machine developed AC current and used internal rectifier banks to develop DC current needed by the Traction Motors. The AR-10 Traction Alternator was used in many locomotive models including the SD40-2 and SD45-2.
As part of the historical display, an Electro-Motive D-4 DC Generator was displayed. This generator was rated at 1,100 HP and used from 1938 to 1946. This generator was used in early locomotives built in LaGrange including passenger locomotives EA, E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6, and E7.
A D-7 DC Traction Motor was also on display. This traction motor was rated at 349 HP and used from 1938 to 1946. This traction motor was used in early locomotives built in LaGrange including passenger locomotives EA, E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6, and E7.
A current production D-77 DC Traction Motor was on display. This traction motor is rated at 718 HP and was used in many locomotives including the SD40-2. This traction motor produces more than twice the power of the D-7 but will physically fit in the early production locomotives. Also shown is the way the traction motor is supported in the locomotive. The Traction Motor Support Bearings are shown that surround the axle and support the traction motor. Also shown is the "Bull Gear" mounted on the axle which is driven by the Pinion Gear mounted on the end of the Traction Motor Armature.
Multiple historic locomotives were on display for the event. Southern FTA No. 6100 was originally built as Electro-Motive FT Demonstrator No. 103.
Baltimore & Ohio No. 50 was built in 1935. It is a twin engine, four axle passenger locomotive, powered by Winton engines, totaling 1,800 HP. The LaGrange factory had not been built at the time so this locomotive was assembled at General Electric's plant at Erie, PA.
Baltimore & Ohio GP40-2 No. GM50 was built in 1972 and was painted solid gold in honor of Electro-Motive's 50th Anniversary.
Chicago & North Western No. 1518 was the first “GP” model locomotive produced. It is a GP-7 locomotive rated at 1,500 HP and was built in 1948 as EMD Demonstrator 922.
“Body drop at Electro-Motive.” Before being rolled into the last assembly station, the carbody/underframe assembly is lowered onto completed trucks. The locomotive assembly process begins with the underframe positioned upside down. In this upside down position, the fuel tank and other assemblies are applied. The underframe is flipped over and the engine, alternator, cab, and carbody are applied.
Crowds are lined up after entering the Main Gate at the southeast corner of the Main Factory Building. The crowd is entering the parking structure where displays were available to view. In this structure was the engine that marked the "100 Million Horsepower" which was a 16-645E3 engine specially painted silver. This engine was subsequently installed in a Burlington Northern SD40-2.
Children wave out of the Conductor's side window of Southern Railroad SD40-2 No, 3295.
Crowds are lined up on the Engineer's side walkway to enter the cab of Southern Railroad SD40-2 No. 3295.
Crowds are lined up on the Engineer's side walkway to enter the cab of Burlington Northern SD40-2 No. 7055.
The 100 Million Horsepower Open House was well attended with crowds allowed to tour the entire facility. Similar to the 50th Anniversary Celebration, there were displays throughout the facility to explain the technology and processes required to produce modern locomotives. This picture shows the Administration building directly behind the sign at the top of the tower.