Cab production at Electro-Motive Plant #2. The cab structures were fabricated at Plant #2 and this line equipped the cabs. GP7 cabs are being produced on the right while full width carbody cabs are produced on the left.
Wheelabrator "shot blast" booth at Electro-Motive Plant #2. Engine crankcases were welded from steel components and when welding was complete, the weldments were cleaned with shot blasting.
View of Electro-Motive Plant #2. Plant #2 was located at 900 East 103rd Street on the south side of Chicago. Plant #2 produced fabricated welded assemblies such as crankcases and oil pans.
warningMultimediaCookies are required
To watch videos, click on the Cookie Settings link and accept Targeting cookies
Chicago & Eastern Illinois E7A No. 1102 was built by Electro-Motive in September 1946 and was rebuilt by Electro-Motive into an E9AM in 1958.
Electro-Motive SD24 Demonstrator No. 5579 was built in July 1958 and is shown in the Lower Bay of the Engineering Building. This locomotive has been instrumented for testing and has it's engine exhaust ducted outside the building. Various pressure gauges, manometers, and a fuel scale are visible on the side of the locomotive. The SD24 was rated at 2,400 HP and used the 16-567D3 turbocharged engine.
A "B" model or cabless version of the SD24 was produced for Union Pacific. A total of 224 SD24's were produced including 45 "B" units produced for Union Pacific.
Chicago Burlington & Quincy SD24 No. 505 was built in May 1959. Chicago Burlington & Quincy purchased 16 SD24's.